Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Name Piece Draft 2

The Lovell Family and the American Saddlebred
Nicolette Lovell
                I have always been told that my grandfather was a great horse trainer, blacksmith, and bit maker. I have also been told of his heart of gold and laugh that could be heard from miles around. I never knew my grandfather; I was a baby when he passed away in 1991. Since I was a little girl, I've been told that my name, Nicolette came from him. For years he expressed his desire to have a granddaughter named Nicolette. My family had a money theme going: Cash (the names of my grandfather and uncle) Penny (the name of my aunt) and Nicolette -- Nickel- ette... get it? The Lovell's are so clever. Even though I never knew my grandfather, I have been told countless stories about the wonderful and talented man that he was.
                My grandfather did not begin his career in the horse business until he returned from Germany after WWII. He met my grandmother, Marge at an air force base in Texas where she was working as a secretary. They were married and moved back to Missouri, then to Kentucky, Iowa, Tennessee, back to Iowa, and then they finally ended up in North Carolina. Throughout their travels, my grandfather worked as a horse trainer and blacksmith, he became a well known talent on the East Coast Saddlebred Circuit, training many famous names that went on to the World Championships in Louisville Kentucky. During this time my grandparents raised their four children Cash Jr., Tommy (my father), Rodney, and Penny. My grandfather did not realize his talent for bit making until he came up with his idea for the interchangeable bit one night at the kitchen table. He patented his idea and started making this bit that became popular worldwide, selling to buyers from South Africa to Europe. From his tiny idea, the Lovell Bit Company was created and is headed by my uncle Rodney today in the tiny shop behind my grandmother’s house. Countless champions have graced the green shavings of Louisville with a Lovell bit in their mouth. My uncle Cash Jr. is a very successful horse trainer and owner of Cash Lovell Stables and Riding Academy in Winston Salem. My father, Tommy is an accomplished equine artist.  His wood carved rocking horses are famous throughout the United States Saddlebred industry. My dad also passed on his love of the Saddlebred horse to me and my sisters. We have shown Saddlebreds since our childhood and continue to do so today.  
                The Lovell family has loved and been involved with the American Saddlebred horse for three generations. My grandfather Cash Lovell Sr. was the base of this connection that has grown and thrived in my family over the past 60 years. My grandfather was inducted into the United Professional Horseman’s Hall of Fame in 1991 for his numerous accomplishments in the Saddlebred Industry, that same year he passed away at the age of 62. I envy those who had the privilege of knowing my grandfather, I am told often about the wonderful person that he was, and how proud he would have been to see my sisters and I ride, show, and love horses as much as he did.

No comments:

Post a Comment